Monday, August 4, 2014

The Unbelievable Dump Cake

My mama made this for YEARS but she never did what I do to it now. Years ago my mama made this "Dump Cake" for some nuns that came over to visit. They thought my mama was not being truthful when she mixed up some cherry pie filling and boxed cake mix! Why would my mother LIE to a nun? ... Anyway, my mom told them how tasty it was and it was so EASY too! They loved it!!
All of this happened back in the 60's. The NEW generation Dump Cake has evolved!



















Any boxed flavor cake mix will do. I usually buy what is on sale. Crushed pineapple in the small can should be a staple in your pantry. There's so much you can do with pineapple! And your favorite canned pie filling. Mine just happens to be cherry. And please don't forget nuts!!! Any type of nut works but I love to use walnuts. Don't laugh at my clothes pin holding that package together!! It works doesn't it?
I didn't get the stick of butter in that picture. Paula Deen would be so upset with me ... hehe.
My daughter had purchased some really nice Pyrex bakeware so I used it. She has great taste! I poured the cherries into the dish with the can of crushed pineapple and mixed it up good. Some recipes even call for some added almond extract with the cherries. I don't add it because first of all, I didn't have any.


Top the cherries and pineapple with the cake mix. Smooth it out and add the chopped nuts. I used a stick of real butter and distributed evenly over the top.
This cake brings back so many memories for me. When I was in elementary school, we had 4-H. I got in front of the judges and made the old version that my mama made. Sadly, I did not come home with a blue ribbon but the experience was something I'll never forget.





This dessert is really so easy and delicious! It is best with some ice cream on top!

Cherry Dump Cake Recipe

1 Box Cake Mix
1 Can Cherry Pie Filling
1 Small Can Crushed Pineapple
1 Cup Chopped Nuts (Walnuts)
1 stick real butter

Pour the cherries in the baking dish (8x8 works best) along with the crushed pineapple. Open the cake mix and spread evenly over the mixture. Spread nuts over the top and top with slices of the butter.
Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes.

This is a quick and easy dessert that will get a blue ribbon for sure!
Enjoy!
Jett



No comments:

Post a Comment